Jacksonville, Fl — The 2023 Atlantic hurricane season is underway June 1 - November 30. This year’s NOAA outlook for the season predicts a 40% chance of a near-normal season, a 30% chance of an above-normal season and a 30% chance of a below-normal season.
NOAA is forecasting a range of 12 to 17 total named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher). Of those, 5 to 9 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 1 to 4 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher).
Resources: WOKV Hurricane Guide
Southwest Florida is only months into the cleanup and recovery from a new record storm, as Hurricane Ian is responsible for more than $109 billion in damage.
104.5 WOKV and the First Alert Weather Team are committed to providing accurate, timely, responsible reporting throughout the six-month hurricane season. In order to help you prepare, we have partnered with emergency preparedness leaders from Baker, Clay, Duval, Nassau and St. Johns counties.